Tuesday 18 October 2011

What is it /Qu'est-ce que c'est?


Although I do not speak French (having gone through high school in Saskatchewan with my French teacher's first language being Ukrainian), sometimes there is no better way to pose the question other than:
"Qu'est-ce que c'est"?  This is a kit that I purchased for my son's friend Matthew's 7th birthday.  Usually I do not go to this extent for his friend's birthday parties, but my son and Matthew have known each other since they were a couple of month's old, and so that's kind of special.  I ordered this kit from Quilting by the Bay in Florida.  Despite our yearly winter vacation to Florida I have still never made it to this quilt shop, however, they are kind enough to ship to Canada at a very reasonable rate.  This kit is entitled 3D Outer Space Quillow.  Now you know what it is!!  The glasses come with the fabric as the fabric is 3D.  The 3D effect is only seen through the glasses they send with the kit (not the ones we all "forget" to leave at the movie theatre).  I did modify the pattern as the pattern is for sewing the layers together and then flipping outwards and sewing the end shut, but that to me is not a quilt, so I machine quilted then put the binding on.  The pattern also calls for an applique space ship that I did not put on the pillow portion as it looked too juvenile for a 7 year old.  Hope this inspires your own creativity...

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment