Saturday 22 June 2013

Farmer's Market Fare

Today my son and I headed out to St. Albert for the St. Albert Farmer's Market.
Now before we got there I stopped at my friend Shelley's house to get some rhubarb and give her my favorite rhubarb cake recipe (will post tomorrow).
Now, one of the things that I love about Edmonton (I know, I am going to have to give back my Calgary card for saying that) is that it is really like a big small town.  You know almost everyone, and everyone treats you like they do in small towns, have a beverage, some home baking etc when you drop by....
Well, at Shelley's today, not only did I get my coveted rhubarb, but also: lettuce, 2 types of fresh mint, and parsley!  Smelled delicious in the car.

Next we went to the Farmer's Market, and while there I got: green onion cakes (yummy), green onions, cucumbers, and some chicken pieces.
I have not eaten chicken in a long time because no matter where I buy it, the meat is always rubbery : (
I decided today that I would try some organic free range and see if that made a difference.
Apparently it does.  We did not have rubber chicken for dinner tonight, instead we had:
The chicken was baked with a bit of Olive Oil and some left over Mushroom Onion Soup Mix, Baked Potatoes, and what I am going to call Shelley's salad.
For Shelley's salad I used the lettuce, two mint leaves chopped up, the green onions and cucumber from the Farmer's Market and some crumbled Feta Cheese.  A little Italian Vinaigrette dressing and dinner was served.
The salad was DELICIOUS!!!
Thanks Shelley : )
Hope this inspires your own creativity...



Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment