Tuesday 26 November 2013

What's For Dinner?

Anyone who knows me knows that I am what has become referred to as Saskatchewan Ukrainian cheap.
I like to think that means that I am frugal with my resources and make the best use of everything and not outsource if at all possible.
One of things that I work very hard on for my son is that he grow up with the concept that dinner is a hot meal at home at the dinner table, with healthy food, not fast or prepared food.
We have extracurricular activities most week nights as most families do, but rather than line up in the drive thru with other parents I opt to have casseroles prepared or use my slowcooker.
This morning before we left home I put ingredients in the slow cooker and when we got home dinner was ready.  My son set the table, I made a salad, and we ate:
I cut up about 6 large red potatoes, added 4 handfuls of frozen green beans, half a chopped onion, chopped green and red pepper, and a half a turkey sausage.
I was dubious if there would be enough moisture in this preparation, so I stopped by home at lunch time to check on it, and it was fine.  There was very minimal moisture in the crock pot when we got home, but apparently the frozen beans kept the potatoes from sticking.
It was quite good, needed a little salt, but other than that we have a few nights of left overs now!
Hope this inspires your own creativity...

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment